And you know what that means - Doom is old enough to drink in the United States! And it's good timing too, because when I think Christmas, I think drinkin'.
So this year, I'm gonna share my Tropiano Family Egg Nog Recipe with y'all.
Christmas Egg Nog
Yer gonna need some tools:
- Every bowl you can get your mitts on (or maybe just three really big ones).
- A Rubber Spatula (for folding)
- Electric Beater
- A large ladle for serving.
Ingredients (in English Imperial, 'cuz I can't be bothered to convert):
- 6 Jumbo Eggs
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup Whiskey or Bourbon or Brandy
- 1/3 cup of Rum
- 2 cups of Heavy Cream
- 2 1/2 cups of Milk (2% milkfat or fattier - none of that 1% crap)
- Get your biggest bowl and a smaller one and separate the eggs into whites and yolks (whites go in one bowl, yolks go in your largest bowl - very important!).
- Beat the egg whites until they are thick and fluffy (check for “peaks”).
- In a third bowl, whip cream into whipped cream.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and yellow.
- Slowly beat sugar into yolk.
- Add the 2 1/2 cups of milk to the sugar-yolk and slowly blend them together with the electric beater.
- Stir in the Rum and the Whiskey or Bourbon or Brandy.
- Fold the whipped cream into your main mixture.
- Fold the egg whites into your main mixture.
- Serve with nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled on top.
Makes approx. 1 gallon, about 12 proof (6% ABV).
The Egg Nog starts separating after a while, so you might need to use your serving ladle to mix during serving.
I find that a good quality, unflavored sugar cane rum and E&J XO Brandy work the best as far as liquor goes. You might be able to get away with a vanilla liqueor instead of Bourbon or Brandy - something sweet always works well.
Enjoy! Merry Christmas to all, and to all, GET CRUNK.
Update: Thought of a WAY better title for this entry.